Hello! So if yesterday was all about the foundation for grace than today is the response to that grace and what Paul believes are the expectations of Christians once they discover grace for themselves. As you'll read today, Paul believes that it is only in response to faith that we can actually live fully into our Christian ideals, values, and beliefs because with grace we can understand and respectful those ideals, values, and beliefs on a deeper level. Do you agree with Paul? (Or do you agree with my interpretation of Paul I should say) Let's find out!
Scripture to Read
(I read the wrong Psalm for this one, my bad.)
Questions to Consider
What is the primary point that Paul is trying to make?
How has, if it all, my understanding of grace changed after reading Romans 3-6?
Alright today's Bible Project video will help give some overview of what to expect for the remainder of the book. If you're a visual learner these videos are always really helpful!
Praying the Hymns
Our hymn for today is from 1825, In the Cross of Christ I Glory. I know its super unlikely but I find it really fun singing super old hymns and wondering if my great-great-great grandparents sang this song in their own church communities and here I am many years later singing it too. So, if you, like me, believe your ancestors and saints above are rejoicing in this old hymn than join with them either aloud or in meditation. :)
1. In the cross of Christ I glory, towering o'er the wrecks of time; all the light of sacred story gathers round its head sublime.
2. When the woes of life o'ertake me, hopes deceive, and fears annoy, never shall the cross forsake me. Lo! it glows with peace and joy.
3. When the sun of bliss is beaming light and love upon my way, from the cross the radiance streaming adds more luster to the day.
4. Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure, by the cross are sanctified; peace is there that knows no measure, joys that through all time abide.
5. In the cross of Christ I glory, towering o'er the wrecks of time; all the light of sacred story gathers round its head sublime.